7/30/08

Something funny happened to me

the other day.
I watched the rise of
neo-fascism,
trumpet blare and all.

I feigned patience in line
at a coffee house
I frequently adore,
eagerly awaiting my
hot bean juice
when slowly, my ears
perked up to the scene
unfolding before
me.

I think my life flashed
before my eyes.
It’s supposed to do that
you know,
right before you die.

I took a step back
almost falling over my mind,
crouched in terror on the floor.
One question floating
in the air around me.

What the Hell
is
a
half-caf
half soy/half skim
low cal
unsweetened
caramel
half cappuccino
half latté
chai on top
with whipped cream
and a twist of lemon?

I tried very hard
to hold my composure,
and did, save a small
“What the?”
as my friend the barista
attempted to pool
all of her caffeine powers
and conjure this drink
from Never Never Land
I shook my head
Yearning

to explode in a fury
of uncouth words
Enforcing the opinion that
such an abomination was a travesty
of the human race and
by the Geneva Conventions
must be tried by
Military Tribunal.

But,
I didn’t.
Instead, I just watched
as the Clueless twenty-something
chattering away on her cell phone
grabbed her concoction without so much
as a nod of thanks and
passed through the door
with a hauntingly familiar
straight legged march.

I
took a step forward,
and said
“Coffee, black”
hovering for a tick and
Executing the scene with
a quick draw
“Please.”